“The Fighters are our salvation but the bombers alone provide the means of Victory”
Winston Churchill, September 1940
Located near to London’s Hyde Park Corner, the Bomber Command Memorial honours the 55, 573 members of Bomber Command who lost their lives during World War Two. At the heart of the Memorial are the bronze sculptures of an aircrew. The figures depicted are the Navigator, Flight Engineer, Mid-upper Gunner, Pilot, Bomb Aimer, Rear Gunner and Wireless Operator.
Within the memorial, the space is open to the sky with an opening designed to allow light to fall directly onto sculptures of the aircrew.
The scale of the sculpture as a whole means that visitors will always see the profile of the sculpture against the sky above them, day and night – thus rendering that section of the sky powerfully symbolic for the memorial.
The memorial was designed by Liam O’Connor and is made from Portland Stone and the sculpture was created by Philip Jackson.
The design for the roof incorporates sections of aluminium recovered from a Handley Page Halifax III bomber (LW682 from No. 426 squadron) shot down over Belgium on the night of 12 May 1944, in which eight crew were killed.
The memorial was erected following a five year campaign by the Bomber Command Association. It was the culmination of a seventy year battle to win recognition for the contribution and sacrifice made by the 125,000 men who served in Bomber Command. The Memorial was officially unveiled by Her Majesty The Queen on 28 June 2012.
Maintaining the Memorial
As custodians of the Bomber Command Memorial, the RAF Benevolent Fund is responsible for the memorial’s maintenance and upkeep. They receive no government funding, so rely on the kind generosity of supporters to help with its upkeep.
By making a donation today, you can help to preserve the Bomber Command Memorial. Please click here to make a donation